Monday, July 9, 2007

It's the Hard-Knock Life


So, I've already blogged before about my amazing grace or lack thereof. P.S. I want everyone to note the first picture on my blog (I need many verbal pats on the back for this to continue). Anyways, we'll get to how the picture fits in here in a minute. This morning at 6:30 AM I get up earlier than needed to go running with my new found friend and next door neighbor. I am still in the stages of convincing her that she really does want to be friends with the complete dork that I am. Anyways, towards the end of our run, when I am finally starting to think this is a beautiful morning, it's not hot, and I actually am glad that I am out of bed right now (or maybe I was really just glad because we were almost done with our run), I trip on absolutely nothing, twist my right ankle, and land with my left knee on the cement side walk. So, that ended the run immediately. (Good trick for any of you runners that want to start walking a little early). Not such a good trick when you are trying to make a new friend. Oh well, who needs friends anyways?

Alright continuing on with the day, I managed to shower, ice my poor ankle, and get out the door just a little late. I get in the car when I realize, good job Chelsea you totally sprained the ankle that has to push the gas peddle. No biggie, we only have a 45 minute drive out to Oakridge. I get to Oakridge, and hobble into the clinic, limping with both legs due to my twisted ankle on the right and swelling knee on the left. I hobble in and out of patient rooms trying to somehow convince them that they do indeed want my hobbling self to give them the dire medical attention they need.

At lunch, I had left over enchilladas. Very yummy and very exciting until I spilled enchillada sauce (which doesn't come out too well) all over my shirt. I did try to get it out, but then I only had a very wet AND very stained shirt. Hence the picture of the boy on my blog. Too bad he's like 8, and I am almost 24! So, now I am hobbling, soaking wet (right over my breast mind you), covered in enchillada sauce, and still trying to convince patients that I am capable of fixing all their health issues when I obviously can't even fix my own. However, I must be a pretty good actress because I convinced one poor guy to let me cut this huge, groudy lesion off his leg with a scalpel. And then, once I had made a huge hole in his leg, he let me take suture needles and sew him up. I don't think I would let anyone who was hobbling like I was and wearing a soaking wet enchillada stained shirt come anywhere near me with a scalpel! And I guess, to help anyone who still thinks I am not a complete and total klutz, that it would be worth mentioning that during the whole process of cutting someone open and you are supposed to keeping everything real sterile, I dropped like 3 intruments on the floor. We got new ones of course, but somehow this guys is still letting me take a needle to his leg. A very brave chap indeed!

Anyways, just thought I'd let you all have a little view into the stuggles of my hard-knock life.

10 comments:

Ilene said...

I hear you my dear. I am one big klutz and somehow I am in charge of the well-being of two young boys. They don't know any better, though. Hooray for removing a goudy mound and stitching people up. At least you didn't cut off anything except that which was supposed to come off!

Ilene said...

Oh, awesome picture too. Loved it.

Tara said...

YAY! I like people who are clumsy like me. Don't worry I think we are all dorks in one way or the other. I pretty much trip over my own feet all the time. I'm sorry you hurt your poor ankle!

Good job with the picture...

Becky said...

YAY CHELSEA! Thanks for posting a picture. *pats Chel on back* Alex kept wondering why I was laughing while on the computer, and all I could say was "Chelsea". Sorry about all your injuries. That sounds painful. I'm glad you got to sew some guys leg up. Sounds cool.

Pacers said...

Sweet Amazing Grace, how I love thee. Nothing will ever top the time you slid across your entire drive way in Chicago - and still managed to keep a CD in tact.....

there's nothing quite like birthday pictures where Chelsea is banadaged from head to toe.... Maybe that's why you needed to be a PA in the first place - to know how to take care of yourself :)

I bet people love having you come in to help them. No one wants a know-it-all-stuffed-shirt-doctor. What we want is a doctor with a sparined ankle and enchilada sauce on the shirt!

Loves!

Lizzy said...

I hate days like that! I had one myself just the other week.

I'm glad the guy was brave and let you take care of him. He was probably too distracted by your wet t-shirt to notice your klutziness! Kidding...

Hope the ankle and knee feel better! Hope you didn't hurt the baby when you fell. (Ha ha.)

Christi said...

It's like your on Grey's Anatomy! I love your stories Dr. Chelsea.

Alifinale said...

Chels you are hilarious! ANd great pic, really brought the story to life. I love how you describe the stage of still convincing someone to be friends with a dork like you. That is so me! HA! Don't fret, she would be lucky to be friends with a dork like you. Hope you got the stain out and that your injuries are feeling better. That is why I never run.

Emily said...

Oh man, you are so funny! I'm glad I was convinced to be friends with a dork like you, you make me laugh Chelsea! I love the picture...it's awesome! I would love to know what that guys was thinking while you were stitching hime up...wet t-shirt, limping, enchilada stain...I love it!

Brianne said...

I once had a guy let me draw blood from him when I was shaking like a leaf (it was my first time on a real person and not on a dummy). I actually only had to poke him 2 times, the second was because my hands were so sweaty that I had to dry them off to get the vile attached. Anyway, we're all dorks in our own minds, but you're a great gal. And that's what you get for running!!!