
Last night some good friends of ours invited Derek and I to join them to go see a few of the homes featured in Eugene's parade of homes. Now, many of you know my husband. Can I just say that a miny miracle occured when I asked him if we could go, (well begged...well more like told him he was going) and he actually agreed to go. That may only be because my birthday was on Wednesday, so I still have a little bit of birthday girl pull.
I love love love to look at all the fancy homes and dream of one day having a house with even one room that looks slightly as amazing as their entire home. Anyways, we go see all these great homes, and I leave having a conversation with my husband of our future dream masterbedroom with the ginormous king size bed and bathroom with the double sinks, double shower heads, and what the heck why not double walk in closets too (that may be a little extreme).
The night continues...we go get icecream with our friends (who happen to be doing the law school thing too). We start talking about future jobs, where we want to end up, and what kinds of firms they are applying to for next year. Her husband says that he really wants to work at a small firm, in a smaller town because he doesn't want to have a job where he has to work from 7:30 Am- 7:30 PM every day like the big firms make you do right out of school.
Well, that of course gets me thinking because I don't really want a husband who is gone that long every day either. And, I remember when we started law school that Derek said he didn't want to work for a big firm because he didn't want to work those long hours. Well, here we are in our third year. He is currently applying for law firms to work at next year. Are they the small firms with the reasonable hours? NO! They are all these huge firms with tons of billable hours. Whether he can actually get a job at these firms is another issue, but nonetheless he is applying.
This led to a long dicussion last night. It ended with me saying something like. So, I guess you pretty much plan to live at the law firm. Well, remember that dream masterbedroom? Forget the double sinks, double shower heads, and kind size bed. I guess all I need is a single bed and a bathroom down the hall!
But really, all this applying for jobs stuff is really freaking me out. How do you decide what city to live in for what could be the rest of our lives? How do you decide which firm to sacrfice your husband to for what could be the rest of my life? (I guess which ever one agrees to pay you). Going to school wasn't so scary because it was only 3 years and then you could go wherever you want. But, now that we are getting close to finishing and we can go wherever we want...how do we figure out where we want to go? Okay, enough complaining.
11 comments:
I love looking at big fancy homes too. How fun. However, do you realize that if you want the dream master bedroom you will probably have to sacrifice your husband to one of those Big Firms. Sad days. I am just glad that we got to put off some of those big decisions for another year (not where to live, but where Brian will work). Good luck figuring it out, stressful, but exciting too!
You know. I guess they only have to work those ugly hours for a few years (at least that is waht Derek says), and then it's not supposed to be so bad. However, I can totally see it being just a few years and then just a few more and then just a few more until its all the years. Is it bad that I secretly hope he doesn't get a job at one of these huge firms?
Although the dream master bedroom would be nice.
I hear you there sista! The dream master bedroom sounds awesome, but what good is a huge bedroom with no hubby around to play with! This next year is going to be interesting.
p.s. You are in big trouble for not telling me it was your birthday!
In my defense Tara, you were somewhat busy at the time. Andrew and I have birthdays pretty close together. Maybe next year a joint b-day party?
I worked for a big fancy firm in Portland, Davis Wright Tremaine. It was fun (of course I was not a lawyer)- I worked with the summer associates and they got spoiled rotten. So that would be fun for Derek. Besides having a husband away for a bit isn't always that bad- you can have plenty of girls' nights and you don't have to worry about cooking!
Good luck through this stressful time!
I love touring homes...it's way fun! It's fun to think about what your future home (or homes) will look like. So you don't see your husband for a few years...but then you end up with your gigantic house! Just kidding...who needs the huge firms and 90 hour work weeks, he will be just fine with whatever you guys choose. Clerkships are great like Ali said...we get to drag this thing out for another year! GOod luck with the last year...it will be great!
Hey it is Sarah...how are you? We miss you so much and haven't seen you forever. Rumor has it you are looking in Las Vegas, that is a really good idea! We will be there for a while. Anyway, I hope things are doing good. You should check out our blog at mcgivenfamily.blogspot.com
I finally set up a blog! Thanks to you for telling me how! Anytime you're going for a walk or jog, give me a call. I also need your number cause I can't find you in the directory.
NEW POST TIME CHELSEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Chelsea, it's Maria, Derek's old friend. I found your blog through Becky Hunter, then through Jeff Gardner's. I have been wondering how you two have been doing and what you were up to and am so glad to find you. We just went through Eugene a few weeks ago! I hope you are both doing well and getting excited to be finished with law school! Sounds like you are busy with school, too! What amazing experiences for you! I am freaked out by the giving birth part, not so much my body changing part!
Post a Comment