Saturday, June 30, 2007

Pregnancy

I have had the joy of watching many friends suffer through their dreaded pregnancies. I've heard all the pregnancy complaints as their bodies expand and their emotions run wild. I have also heard many labor and breast feeding horror stories. And people wonder why I am not pregnant? I actually haven't minded avoiding most of these things thus far. However, lately I'm wondering if I too am suffering many of the same emotional symptoms such as mood swings, food cravings, tiredness, weepiness.

Mood Swings: For those of you who think I am pretty even keel, you should sit down and have a converstation with my husband. I have what he calls "the Rarrrr switch." He describes me as being so sweet and fun and cute one second and the next thing you know....RAARRR! Maybe he is right...who knows. I do remember walking out of church the other day. I'm happy, pleasant, and telling him all about the things we discussed in RS and the new girls I sat next to that day. He says something to the effect of, "yeah you girls were in their for quite a while after church ended what were you gossiping about?" I lost it..."WE WEREN'T GOSSIPPING!!!" I continue to go off on him about how I'm tired of him ALWAYS (not such a good word to toss around) putting me down, ect., ect. He didn't know what hit him.

Food cravings: I don't really crave food so much as when I'm hungy you better feed me before you try to talk to me. I guess you could call my state of hunger a permant flipping of the Rarrr switch until I have something down. Derek has learned this and just sort of tip-toes around me until I'm finished with my dinner.

Tiredness: Maybe it is this whole graduate school thing (I don't know), but lately I have been so worn out. Especially at the end of the week. For example, the other week (it was Friday) I got home and went straight to bed for a nap. Last night, I got home, ate dinner, and went to visit my dear neighbors the Thompsons (Derek doesn't like when I call them that. He gets irritated and tells me that they are Raleigh and Tara, not the Thompsons). So anyways, I went to visit the Thompsons and as many of you would know if you had read Raleigh's recent blog he (and Derek too for that matter) are really into this Man vs. Wild show. I think it is interesting and stomach churning enough, and there was a new episode on last night that we all hadn't seen, so we turned it to good ol' Bear and started watching. Not ten minutes into the show (Bear had just eaten a scorpion because it is a great source of protein and tastes like old cheese only worse?), I am asleep on the coach. It's 9pm on a Friday night and I can't even keep my eyes open while Bear is swallowing scorpions to stay alive. So, there you have it tiredness/fatigue.

Weepiness: I was so greatful for the sunday school lesson last week because we were talking about talents. And, they had this great quote from some general authority listing off talents that people often don't realize are talents and one was the ability to weep. Well, I got that talent covered! I don't think I used to be this way. I really don't remember crying so easily in the past. I like to blame it on the infulences of birth control. But, needless to say the teeniest things can make me cry: sappy commercials, the end of Gilmore Girls, comments that probably really aren't mean but I interpret them that way somehow from Derek, and THIS JUST IN... not having a library card. Yes! I went to get a library book the other day, had my book picked out and everything, and my library card had expired. Well, I waited in line to renew it just to be told that I had to have proof of address which I didn't. So, went back another day, picked out this book I was dang excited to read, had a letter addressed to me with my address here in Eugene not opened or anything and they said sorry it can't be a letter with the address in a window box! What! Aren't all bills, ect. that way these days? Anyways, Derek was with me, I got in the car and just started bawling over the fact that I couldn't get a library card! He didn't know what to do with me he just said, "It's going to be okay. We will get you a library card. It's going to be okay."

So anyways, I guess my point is if I start feeling something kick me from inside it's probably about time I pee on one of those home pregnancy tests because me and pregant women are not too different.

10 comments:

Pacers said...

CHELSEA! You are so DANG HILARIOUS! I love it. I made Ryan sit down and listen to your blog so that he would understand that I'm not the only girl who has a "Rarrr switch" or whose hunger must be kept in check!!! You are the greatest!

Becky said...

Uh, Chel, if you get to the point where you start feeling something kick you, I sure hope you've already peed on a stick! I freakin' miss you and your funniness. And, yes, you are weepy. You've been that way since I've known you. Tell Derek that it's a good thing.

Emily said...

Oh man that's funny Chelsea. I think you have been around so many pregnant people lately you are developing sympathy symptoms...you are so nice! I love that you cried about the library card...I can so see myself doing the same thing!

Patrick and Crystal said...

Chel!! I'm glad you know how it feels to be pregnant even if you aren't yet... well, probably not yet anyway. I feel for you sister! PS~ I am super excited to hang out with you in a mere 6 weeks!

Tara said...

Oh Chelsea you are definitely feeling my pain! Hey we are just giving Raleigh and Derek something to gossip about right? I mean that would just be rude if Raleigh was the only one that could complain about his wife.

Alifinale said...

You are so funny Chelsea! Sympathy sydrome....that or you are just a woman. I experience all the same things (oh I love the Rarr switch) and I am not pregnant...pretty sure I am not pregnant. It is good to keep the hubbies on their toes.

Ilene said...

Um Chelsea... I don't think those are pregnancy symptoms but rather part of the female genetic make up. Pregancy just gives us a reason to finally be able to justify those tendencies (although when not pregnant, I use my period as a good rationalization for my dessert cravings).

I love being a woman and despite our husband's complaints, they love us being a woman too.

Laura said...

I'm so confused Chelsea...are you pregnant or what? I do have to agree with you on basically all of those "symptoms"--especially the tiredness one. When I was pregnant the first time I literally slept at least 10 hours every night.

Chelsea said...

Just to clearify. No, I'm not pregnant!

Christi said...

I miss you Chelsea! I love your blog. If makes me laugh every time I read it! I love the sympathy symptoms!