Friday, May 25, 2007

Cloud 9

So, I'm minding my own buisness saving yet another child from the terrible dangers of an ear infection when my preceptor (basically commander and chief of me for the next few weeks) says she's having surgery to remove her gallbladder today, so we were getting off early. Next thing I know, she's on the phone with the surgeon asking him if I can scrub in for the surgery. We finish our patients for the day and head over to the hospital. I scrub 30 strokes of a brush across my fingernails, 10 strokes across each of the 4 planes of each finger, and so on all the way up to both elbows. Then, I have people gowning and gloving me and all of a sudden I'm sterile and can't touch anything. So, there I am with my hands in the air not touching anything standing away from the table when the surgeon tells me to get right up next to the table right across from him...I'm going to be his first assist in surgery.

Like I said, I swear was just writing out yet another Amoxicillin prescription, and now here I am with retracters pulling open the skin of my preceptor for this surgeon. Next, he looks at me and asks, "Do you sow?" I reply, "Sure...on pig's feet." So, then he hands me a suture and I'm stitching up one of the openings of my preceptor!!! I don't think the school told us before we left that we aren't supposed to perform surgery on our preceptors...hopefully I didn't cross a line here.

Anyways, I'm on cloud 9 and can't stop smiling. I think it may stay that way all weekend. Hopefully my preceptor's abdomen doesn't burst open! I mean the surgeon was watching me, and I told him he could take the stitch out if it wasn't good enough...he said it was fine. I hope he's right!

9 comments:

ashley said...

Whoa!! I don't know if I can imagine you holding still during surgery... are you sure you weren't spinning around in chairs??

Congrats on your first 'surgery'! That's amazing!

Patrick and Crystal said...

holy cow chels!! i would have been so scared!!

Lizzy said...

Wow, that sounds so awesome! I can't imagine the feeling of your very first scrub in! How fun. I hope it was only the first of many...

Emily said...

Congratulations on being sterile!? I wasn't quite sure how to word that...but that was a way cool story! If I ever need stitching up I'll give you a call!

Alifinale said...

I really feel like I have a friend in Grey's Anatomy now (but only the medical part, I don't think you are a slut sleeping with all the other interns and Doctors). Congrats! You are amazing!

Tashina said...

Hey you! I am so jealous! What cool stuff you are up to! Hope all is well. Miss ya tons!

Tara said...

Scrub in!? That is SOOO Grey's Anatomy!

Well congrats on the surgery - I love hearing your crazy clinic stories!

Ilene said...

You have a blog and didn't tell me?! Shame on you, Chelsea, shame on you.

I LOVE medical stories which is odd because I can't even watch a medical drama without getting queasy. This blog of yours is great!

Don't worry about not knowing anything. If my brother can be a doctor, you will be more than qualified in the medical field!

JAC said...

Hi Chelsea. It's your Mother checking in to say I found your blog. I like it best when you recap the day by phone while you and I are driving home, but just thought I'd check in. Love you, Mom